The foundation of our care is respect, honesty & trust.
The journey of pregnancy, birthing and parenting is a very intimate and intense adventure. Everyone has a very individual experience and deserves reverence and celebration. Pregnant people have the right to choose where and with whom they feel the safest, most empowered and secure, and to have the experience they desire.
We are dedicated to providing the highest standard of care, offering an intricate balance of tradition and technology. Midwives are the facilitators of natural process and reserve intervention, invasive testing and procedures for situations outside the parameters of normal. We allow as much time as needed to listen, interact and educate — encouraging families to be proactive, to make truly informed decisions about their care.
What we provide
- Regular prenatal appointments, every four weeks until 28 weeks, then every two weeks until 36 weeks, then weekly.
- Prenatal appointments include assessment of you and your baby's well-being, growth, position, heart rate, and plenty of time for questions and conversation.
- We offer routine testing for iron levels, Group B Streptococcus (GBS), gestational diabetes, and specific testing for other issues that may arise in pregnancy. Although we do not provide ultrasound on site, we can order it at a facility closest to you if desired.
- We provide a four-session childbirth class taught by the midwives. The River Guild, conveniently located next door to the birth center, offers HypnoBirthing classes, prenatal yoga, and pregnancy and postpartum parent groups.
- A midwife and at least one assistant attends your birth and remains with you for several hours postpartum. In the case of transfer to the hospital, at least one person will remain with you for ongoing labor and postpartum support.
- We routinely recommend: delayed cord clamping, skin-to-skin contact, immediate breastfeeding, and other hallmarks of physiological birth.
- We offer vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC).
- We provide a shower and a birthing tub at the birth center, and have a tub available for rental at home births.
- Other children, family, friends, doulas, and photographers are welcome at prenatal appointments and at the birth.
- If needed, we offer Rhogam for Rh negative parents, IV antibiotics, and herbs and medications to control bleeding.
- If desired, we offer Vitamin K injections (or you may choose oral Vitamin K, or decline Vitamin K) and eye ointment for the baby.
- Regular postpartum appointments, including 24-48 hours after the birth of your baby, two weeks, and six weeks postpartum, plus additional appointments as needed.
- We provide ongoing breastfeeding support as needed.
- We offer routine care of the newborn, including a newborn hearing screening and newborn metabolic testing. If necessary, the midwife can refer the baby to be seen by a pediatrician.
- You are welcome to take your placenta home. Our assistant midwife, Bryn, offers placenta encapsulation.